Monday, March 23, 2009

Spotlight On...


Crystal Carlton of Charm & Jewels

Tell us a little bit about who you are and your life up to this point in time.
I am Crystal Carlton, a wife, and a mother of 1 lovely little daughter named Taya. I am 38 years old, and I live in Akron, Ohio. 

Besides your fantasy creative life, what else are you doing currently?
I have been a hairstylist for 19 years, and I have been an Independent Artist/Designer since January 2004. 

What do you offer in your Etsy Shop? 
My etsy shop offers a wide variety of beautiful handmade jewelry. The designs in my collection are unique, eyecatching, and elegant. Designed with the finest components including handmade lampwork beads, charm beads,gemstones, sterling silver, bali silver, gold-filled, jangles, ceramic, Swarovski Crystals and much more. My designs include earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, beaded ink pens, children's jewelry and much more. I love to design wedding jewelry and designs for special occasions. Not only do I have a shop on etsy, but I also have my own website.

Where do you create?
I create my jewelry designs in a extra room in my home, I have designated as "My Studio"! Sometimes when I want to relax a bit more and spend some time watching television with my family, I take a small table into the family room and do some beading there as well.

Where do you get your inspiration from? 
I have always been artistic, but I get my inspiration from just about anything I see, I love to watch the seasons change, with all the beautiful colors we see they sometimes inspire me to design pieces made up of those colors. Designing jewelry really began with "My Little Inspiration", Taya. I was working 4 days a week 16 hours a day in the salon, and when I had her I decided I wanted to be home more to be with her, and that's when I decided to make jewelry and sell it.

How did you learn how to do your craft?
Again because I have always been creative, I purchased a bead kit, put it together and that was it! I began to go to local Bead Shows, and began to frequent Bead Shops. For the most part I taught myself, and when there was something I couldn't do I would not hesitate to take a class!

How do you promote your wares?
I promote my wares any way I can. I sell it in several shops here in the Akron area. I always donate to charities and auctions for even more exposure. I've also been in several malls, selling my jewelry for short periods of time, and of course my website,and my Etsy shop.

What has been the most important lesson you've learned since you started selling your own creations?
The most important lesson I've learned is to budget my time and my money!!! You have to this business can be time consuming and can consume you financially!!!

Is there any advice you can give others who are just starting out?
It's a tough road, hang in there!!!



3 comments:

elodee said...

This was a nice interview! YOu gave amazing advice on the business side of your beautiful pieces! Many Blessings!

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

Thank you for taking time to do the interview Crystal!

Jennifer said...

Great interview :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails