Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spotlight on .....

Roseline of African Fashions!

Tell us a little bit about who you are and your life up to this point in time?
Hi, my name is Roseline and I have been a custom seamstress since 1984. I own two professtional sewing machines, a Singer CG500C, which can do straight, decorative and flex stitching, and a Kenmore differental feed with 4 spools. I learned my trade in Nairobi, Kenya and now live in Charlotte, NC

Besides your fantasy creative life, what else are doing currently?
I work as a nurse in an old folks home, am married and have a daughter in Kenya. Trying to get her a visa to come here. So far no luck.

What do you offer in your Etsy Shop?
I can create any style of clothing, not just afrocentric. I am an expert seamstress. I can design and sew what ever you want, and not just women's clothing either, but also men's clothing and children's clothing. I craft my own designs or I can copy a design of your choosing. I am so adept that from the scantiest of information, like a picture or sketch, I can sew for you the fashions you desire. We are happy to quote you a price.
I also have a number of items already made. Kaftans (13) Dresses (8) Blouse and Pant Sets (14) Blouse and Skirt Sets (12) Elegance (2) Blouses (1) Skirts (1) Menswear (2) Childrens(2) Just look in my shop www.africanfashions.etsy.com

Where do you create?
I work at home in a smoke free and pet free enviroment.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
Years of experience, custom orders, fashion magazines, TV shows.

How did you learn how to do your craft?
Trade school in Nairobi and practice.

How do you promote your wares?
Word of Mouth, this blog, business cards, referrals.

What has been the most important lesson you've learned since you started selling your own creations?
Be nice to others and they will be nice to you. Also, quality is always the cheapest.

Is there any advice you can give others who are just starting out?
You know how to get to Carnigie Hall?

Do you have any favorite Etsy artists you'd like to promote here?
All of the EAOCers, check out their shops, they all do wonderful work.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails