Monday, August 17, 2009

Let's Talk Photos

Photo cred: kcc.ac.uk


As online sellers, we are charged with the difficult task of making our wares look appealing and "sellable." The potential buyer can't physically see it, hold it, feel it, smell it, or taste it for that matter. So what can we do? Besides making an excellent product (aren't all our products excellent), the photos must be top notch. We read this in the Etsy guides and Etsy forums ad nauseam, but it's true. I'm no professional photographer, but I have picked up a few tips along the way:

  1. Use natural light. Do not use the flash on your camera. It washes out the color of your items, and it cheapens your product. Read your camera's manual and learn how to use the macro setting. This is especially important if you're a jewelry maker.
  2. Invest in a light box or build your own. I bought this one at amazon.com, and I love it. Or click here to learn how to build your own.
  3. Use relevant props but not to the extent where they detract from your product. Don't confuse the buyer to the point where they can't figure out what it is you're actually selling.
  4. Please, please, please do not use blurry or unfocused pics in your listings. It's such a turnoff and the quickest way to lose a sale.
  5. Take multiple shots of your item-front, back, and sides. Aim to take at least 10 pics or more. Only about half of those will be actually usable once you download them to your computer. Use free web tools like Picnik or Picasa to edit your photos.
This is your forum! If you have any tips or techniques you'd like to share, let us know. Pretty pictures sell, and that's why we're all here, right?

5 comments:

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

Expanding on #1, don't be afraid of cloudy days. You can still get great pictures even if the sun is hiding.

Another tip I learned was to use a tripod. I bought a very inexpensive one a couple weeks ago and it works great. It's small and and can be taken anywhere.

Patrice-The Soap Seduction said...

Thanks for the tips! I have a tripod too, but I've never quite mastered using it. Believe it or not, I'm steadier with my own hands than with the tripod!

Angelina Fong Designs said...

A simple white sheet can be great for creating a great backdrop for your photos as well. I use this a lot when photographing larger items like my pillows. Works great!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I've been doing professional photography for a long time! I gave some wonderful links for the team! Please convo me if you have any additional questions about photography. I love to help! Here is my photography thread that I started!

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6150183

Ren
raghousenternational.etsy.com
follow me too!

Dee said...

Great information. I"m working on the perfecting lighting for my photos now, it's an ongoing process.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails