Monday, July 14, 2008

Spotlight On ...


Marcus Kwame!

1. Tell us a little bit about who you are and your life up to this point in time.
I'm an artist, musician and poet, who was born in Kingston Jamaica and raised in upstate New York. I've been making art since I can remember. My mother was very supportive and instrumental in me becoming an artist.

2. Besides your fantasy creative life, what else are you doing currently?
Right now I'm preparing for the birth of my first child, which I'm really excited about. She's due in August. I have a lot going on right now but that is the big thing!

3. What do you offer in your Etsy Shop?
I offer my paintings, drawings and prints in my Etsy Shop.

4. Where do you create?
I mostly create at home, but I've been known to create art anywhere I can get my hands on a piece of paper when inspiration strikes.


5. Where do you get your inspiration?
I find inspiration in many places. Music is a big source of inspiration for me. A lot of my paintings are somehow related to music. My wife inspires me. People who have passed through my life inspire me.

6. How did you learn how to do your craft?
I've had some great art teachers but I learned the most by just "doing." I drew all the time when I was growing up. I'm always trying to grow as an artist and do new things.

7. How do you promote your wares?
Through my website http://www.marcuskwame.com/, etsy, word of mouth (handing out a lot of cards!)


8. What has been the most important lesson you've learned since you started selling your own creations?
The most important lesson I've learned since I began selling is that the amount you sell does not determine the true worth of your work. So if things are slow I don't doubt myself or my work.

9. Is there any advice you can give others who are just starting out?
Like I said, don't let money define your work. If you create what is true to you then in the long run I believe you will be successful.

10. Do you have any favorite Etsy artists you'd like to promote here?
Lark Calderon Gomez, The Pairabirds, Three Muses Art, Alkemystic88


5 comments:

DivaDea said...

Oh, his art is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
And your new blog layout looks great :)

Unknown said...

This art is great!

The Ivory Magnolia said...

his artwork has so much energy & inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Marcus, great interview! you are so talented in so many different ways... a true "renaissance man" for real. your feedback on the most important lesson you've learned is so true! i agree, not to let the amount you sell determine your works value, don't doubt yourself or your work! great advice! and thank you for the mention:) i feel honored. best of luck...and august is almost here!!!
big hugs,
Lark
xo

Anonymous said...

Wow! What great talent!

I love the 'meaning' and 'emotions' behind your art.

Hugs,
Diana

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails