Friday, May 2, 2008

Spotlight On...

Gaetana of Satin Doll Company!

1. Tell us a little bit about who you are and your life up to this point in time.
I'm a Native New Yorker living in Florida and before starting my own business and moving down south I was a successful Freelance Designer for 3 years. It's true what they say, that if you can make it there then you can make it anywhere. I love designing apparel but accessories are my true love and passion.

2. Besides your fantasy creative life, what else are doing currently?
I'm currently designing and making pieces for my first collection for this Fall/Winter '08-'09 called "Tragic Romance", which will be sold on my official shop/website this coming September. I'm also gearing up to start selling in the Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop in the last weekend of May and every weekend following.

3. What do you offer in your Etsy Shop?
As of right now I currently offer one-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and accessories, which include handbag charms, cellphone charms, belts, and hair accessories. In the coming weeks, I hope to add an array of different handbags, totes, clutches, passport covers and much more.

4. Where do you create?
I work from home and sometimes flip-flop from the living room to the dining room table.

5. Where do you get your inspiration from?
Inspiration can come from anywhere at anytime. It could be a newspaper article, a television show, a photograph, a single bead or even a swatch of fabric. I'm inspired by life itself.

6. How did you learn how to do your craft?
I'm actually as self-taught jewelry designer. When I was back in college in my last quarter of school I talked about designing jewelry and handbags but I actually started making pieces a year or so after graduating. I learned to sew from my mother, still to this day I can still remember all the dresses she made for me in kindergarten. If you look in my new shop, Paradise International (http://paradiseint.etsy.com) all the backpacks are sewn by her.

7. How do you promote your wares?
I promote my shop(s) any which way I can. Business cards, postcards, flyers, word-of-mouth, newsletters, blogs, mailing lists, Myspace, Facebook, IndiePublic, WeLoveEtsy, Craigslist and many more.

8. What has been the most important lesson you've learned since you started selling your own creations?
Never giving up is the most important lesson I've learned. There were times when I truly doubted myself and was ready to throw in the towel but I soon realized that I was just having a bad patch. I picked myself up and worked even harder.

9. Is there any advice you can give others who are just starting out?
A business plan is key when deciding to start your own business. I wrote mine 4 years ago when I was just out of college. I go back to it time-to-time to make sure I'm still on the right path. Also great customer service and packaging are also key elements; they can make or break any business.

10.Do you have any favorite Etsy artists you'd like to promote here?
I have tons. Of course all my EAOC members, Stoopidgirl, Morganstreet, Oktak and so many more.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails